Like millions of other fans I'm reader for football season to begin, life is truly better in those months of gridiron action. Like many of you I have been reading the reports that have come out of OTA's and found myself shaking my head. Not to talk bad about any of the local reporters from their respective cities but a grain of salt can be taken with anything they write about. Let's be honest, every team looks great during OTA's, even the Colts, Dolphins, Jaguars. I say this because there was one particular report that grabbed my, stamataneously grabbing my attention and irritating me. This particular report came out of Jacksonville and it said that Blaine Gabbett looked good. I took that article with a grain of salt and you most likely would as well if you saw the young man play last year. I always thought that he was drafted far too high and wondered why Jacksonville reached for him. He's still at least another two years away-if at all-from being that franchise quarterback they envisioned him to be. It'a not that I don't like Gabbett, I just don't believe in the guy. But I have been wrong many times before and time will tell if I am about this guy.
I'm also hearing all these good things about Buffalo and how their revamped defense lead by a fully healed Mario Williams will put them in contention for the AFC title. While I don't doubt the amount of talent this team possess-because they are tremendously talented- I don't particularly have faith in their head coach Chan Gailey. Looking back over his career his numbers are so-so, not bad but not good either. Ideally when you pick a head coach for your franchise, and terrible one at that you want that coach to have excelled at his previous jobs and this just isn't the case with Coach Gaily. He did lead the Cowboys to the playoffs two years straight-98,99- but one could argue that he just managed the talent assembled by another coach. Don't get me wrong I think the man was a decent college coach but he doesn't strike me as having that special quality that all the great coaches have. Is charisma the word I'm looking for? Whatever it is he doesn't seem to have it.
Now let's talk about the Dolphins. How they didn't finish 0-16 is beyond me. But unlike the rest of the 29 NLF teams they got worst in the off season. They traded Brandon Marshall. They traded Brandon Marshall. Take a moment and allow that to sink in. Undoubtedly one of the five best receivers in football and he was traded away for a couple of third round picks. Now try and name another receiver on that Dolphin roster, I dare you. To further add to their self inflicted injuries they overreach and take Ryan Tannehill with the eighth pick in this year's draft. While he seems to have all of the physical tools to play at the NFL level the question is if he has the mental makeup. With just more than a full season under his belt as a starter at Texas A&M he showed a frightening lack of good judgement and that's not something that all of a sudden get better at the pro level. So the Dolphins not only traded away their best player, they spent their first round pick on a guy who won't help them this year and probably won't next year either,if at all. And don't even get me started on the Chad Johnson signing. That signing alone should get some front office personnel fired. I think it's safe to say that any reports that come out of training camp that Tannehill looks better than Matt Moore or David Gerard can be taken with a grain of salt.
No comments:
Post a Comment