Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bioware, what were you thinking?

There seems to be a divide among the millions of gamers that have already played Mass Effect 3. There are those who liked the ending and then there are those who absolutely hated the ending. I fall into the latter category and I'll tell you why. Three years ago when I played Mass Effect and thought it was the greatest game I had ever played with Commander Shepard being the Archetype for all heroes that follow. It's deep storyline, vivid visuals, and rich character development made me a fan for life. I found myself a little upset when the game ended but satisfied as well because the story had come to a natural conclusion and we all knew that there would be a second one. And when Mass Effect 2 finally dropped I was lined up at midnight to purchase what I was sure to be even better than the first and I was not disappointed. Mass Effect 2 had not only lived up too it's expectations and surpassed it's predecessor but it went even bigger in scope and scale, introducing us to new characters and story lines and all the while it never shorted us on the action. We got to see Commander Shepard evolve into more than just a battle hardened leader who would do anything to see the job done. He became a protector of the universe, a guiding force for good who inspired loyalty from his crew all the while never caring about his own self interest. The end of Mass Effect 2 was more than I had hoped for, a tightly knit crew embarking on a suicide mission-to take out a Collector base-with the fate of the universe at stake still leaves me speechless sometimes. Once again Mass Effect 2 left us feeling a little sad but satisfied because it ended the only way it possibly could have. Needless to say big things were expect from the next and final Mass Effect 3 and for nearly the entire game it lived up to it"s expectations. I was bombed out about not having Jack, Jacob or Rex rejoin my team but I was more than happy to have Ashly back. Things began to take a turn for the worst as soon as Shepard and his team run into the white beam that subsequently killed everyone but him for some mysterious reason. At this point I was still onboard because people die in war, even the ones we like. I'm going to skip ahead to the part where Commander Shepard meets what most people have began referring to as the God Child, the one whom created the Reapers. If you haven't played this game you probably won't have any idea of what I'm talking about and this blog isn't for you. So Shepard is presented with three choices, all of which entail the destruction of the Mass Relays. Which is odd because in the first game it was explained that if a Mass Relay exploded it would take out an entire solar system. And there was never a reason given for why the Mass Relays had to be destroyed nor for the destruction of all synthetic life in the universe. And perhaps the most ridiculous choice of all was to have Shepard take over the Reapers. WTH?!? Why would he choose to become one with the things he hated most. What happened to the rest of Shepard's crew?
What happened to the rest of the Victory Fleet? Without the Mass Relays they were stranded in our solar system. What happened to Earth's survivors? How would the universe be now that the Krogans no longer suffered from the jenaphage? What happened to the Arachni Queen? Depending on if you allowed the Quarians to wipe out the Geth or allowed the Geth to upload the Reaper Virus how did your choice affect the universe. None of our choices mattered because Bioware failed to address any of it! And perhaps the biggest injustice of all was the lack of reverence to Commander Shepard. He deserved a universal memorial service for his tireless effort and ultimate sacrifice but he didn't get anything. There should have been a scene where a statue in his image was erected in all the major cities on earth and on every planet in the galaxy. And for that Bioware should be ashamed of itself. Commander Shepard deserved so much more than he received. Bioware, in the future I hope that you think twice before shorting changing all of your paying costumers again.

No comments:

Post a Comment